CMS Competitive Soccer Club FAQs 2014-15
► What is CMS Club Soccer?
Club Soccer is NOT a part of CMS Athletics. It is officially a part of Humble ISD Soccer Clubs and will follow UIL guidelines. All eight HISD MSs will field soccer teams this year. The North Division consists of: Atascocita, Creekwood, Kingwood, Riverwood. The South Division: Humble, Sterling, Timberwood, Woodcreek. This is a competitive soccer club for 7th & 8th grade boys and girls. Soccer season begins after Track and Field ends. Students will have to tryout and cuts will be made.
- Boys play 11v11 and the girls play 8v8 so that all the schools can field two teams.
- Regular season will be composed of 3 in-division games and 2 out-of-division games (five games total). Out-of-division games will rotate each season. Each team will play two home, two away and one neutral site game.
- Top 2 teams per league (Boys A, Boys B, Girls A, Girls B) will play in championship game at Turner Stadium.
- Game days are Monday afternoons, unless a conflict arises and another day is required. Game times: 5:15pm B team and 6:45pm A team
- Head Creekwood Club Soccer Coaches:
- Boys Coach – Darrin Josey Darrin.Josey@crown.com
- Girls Coach – Daniel Davila firstname.lastname@example.org
► How is Club Soccer funded if it's not part of Athletics?
We are thrilled to have soccer at Creekwood Middle School. We need your help to keep this new Creekwood Club sport successful. CMS Club Soccer is not a part of HISD Athletics, thus HISD does not provide funds for uniforms, practice/game balls, corner flags, replacing old goal nets plagued with holes etc. This year we are asking all CMS soccer families to consider sponsoring CABC (Creekwood Athletic Booster Club) $30, $50, $100, $250 or more to help fund:
- Officials. Home team is responsible to provide certified referees (~$600)
- The ancient CMS field soccer nets plagued with holes (~$400)
- Set of portable goals (~$800)
- Soccer balls (~$500)
- Practice pinnies (~$200) and cones ($100)
All sponsorships go into a general CABC fund that is used by the CMS Coaches to purchase Athletic equipment/supplies based on need. If you are interested in helping sponsor CABC, Click here to visit the CABC Online Store and click on the Sponsorship box. Or visit www.creekwoodathletics.com and click on the green ONLINE STORE box on top right side of Home page.
Please contact Lora Unwin, CABC President, at
or 713.398.0975 if you have any questions.
► I would like to help! Are there any volunteer opportunities?
Yes, we would appreciate your help! We are in need of the following volunteers:
- Girls Team Manager - Works with coaches to communicate Soccer team logistical information, similar to a “team mom” or “team dad” position.
- Girls Assistant Coach - Works with head coach during practices and games.
Please contact Daniel Davila, Head Girls Coach, at email@example.com
► What is REQUIRED for all Competitive Soccer players?
- Physicals Required: To be eligible to try out, players must turn in a completed physical to their Soccer Coach on or before tryouts. Current CMS students in Athletics are covered under their 2014_15 Physical.
- Physicals completed before April 15, 2015 use the 2014-15 Physical Form.
- Physicals completed on April 15, 2015 or later use the 2015-16 Physical Form. The 2015-16 Physical is valid for 2015-16 HISD Athletics too.
- Download either the 2014-15 or the 2015-16 physical form from the website by clicking here (http://www.humbleisd.net/Page/159)
- All players are required to bring their own water to tryouts, practices and games.
► Who is invited to try out/play?
There will be two teams for the boys and two teams for the girls. Any CMS 7th or 8th grade student in good academic standing is invited to try out for the following teams:
Boys: 7th/8th Mixed A Team (11v11)
7th/8th Mixed B Team (11v11)
Girls: 7th/8th Mixed A Team (8v8)
7th/8th Mixed B Team (8v8)
Tryout Information: Tryouts will be held after Track & Field season ends. You must attend all days of tryouts and have a physical on file
7/8th Grade Girl Tryouts: Tues & Wed pm (Apr 14&15) 4:15-5:30pm
7/8th Grade Boy Tryouts: Fri (Apr 10) 4:15-5:30pm & Tues (Apr 14) 4:15-5:30pm
Players trying out need to be on the CMS soccer field ready to play each day with T-shirt, shorts, shin guards and soccer cleats (or tennis shoes). If you are trying out for goal keeper, please bring gloves. All players are required to bring their own water. Players are allowed to use the CMS girls and boys locker rooms. Players’ backpacks etc. should be neatly placed on locker room benches. Valuables should be kept at home. Students not in Athletics can request to be assigned a locker. Contact Coach Hinson (boys) or Coach Matejka (girls) if you would like a PE locker assigned to your player (player needs to provide lock).
There will be approximately 18 players on each boy team (less for the girls since they play 8v8). That means spots on the team are limited. The coaching staff will choose the players that will give CMS the best opportunity to be successful.
Tryout Procedures: Players will be warmed up and cooled down each day. We are looking for both positive attitudes and positive player conduct. Only the highest achievers will be selected for the A Team. The coaches will advise players individually of their team placement either by envelope or phone call, post tryouts. Their placement on a selected team roster is a privilege. Therefore, the coaches can and may promote/relegate/cut players based on performance, attitude and player conduct throughout the season if necessary.
- Players will be measured by their ability to listen, follow instruction and their technical skills ability. This will include dribbling, passing and shooting.
- Players will be measured by their competitive aptitude, decision making ability and general soccer IQ. This will include 1v1, 2v1 and 4v4 small sided games.
- Players will be divided into teams and observed and adjusted in scrimmage.
► Will transportation be provided to games?
We are not a part of Athletics, thus transportation will not be provided. Parents/players will be responsible for transportation to these games. It is encouraged that a car pool system is used, if needed.
► Soccer uniforms
CABC to provide:
- Jersey, shorts and game socks. Please be sure to hang dry. Families that do not return jersey and shorts in good condition at the end of the season are financially responsible for a replacement uniform.
Families to provide:
- Shin guards, practice socks and tennis shoes (Soccer cleats HIGHLY recommended). No baseball or football cleats which are dangerous in the game of soccer.
► What is our practice schedule?
A&B Team Weekly Practices: Tues & Wed 4:15-5:30pm and Fri 7:00-8:10am (finish in time for the players to cleanup/change in their locker room before first period). Players need to be on the CMS soccer field ready to play by 7am each Friday and after school Tues/Wed with T-shirt, shorts, shin guards and soccer cleats (or tennis shoes). All players are required to bring their own water, every practice. No problem missing CMS practices due to Club Soccer practices.
A&B Team Weekly Practices: Thur & Fri 4:15-5:30pm. Players need to be on the CMS soccer field ready to play asap after school each day with T-shirt, shorts, shin guards and soccer cleats (or tennis shoes). All players are required to bring their own water, every practice. No problem missing CMS practices due to Club Soccer practices.
► Will we have Soccer Team t-shirts and decals?
Yes. Soccer Team t-shirts are designed by the coaches, specifically for the athletes, who wear them on game day. However, many parents/siblings etc. also order for themselves. In April Soccer t-shirts and car decals will be available to purchase on the CABC website Online Store. Click here DEADLINE to order – April 16th.
► What about game day food and drinks? Will they be provided?
Catered meals and water bottles are not provided. Families provide their own food/drink.
Athlete etiquette is important to CMS because everywhere you go with CMS on you, you are representing Creekwood. Therefore, good sportsmanship and respect towards the coaches, officials, teammates and opponents is required.
Parents’ etiquette is crucial to athletes’ attitudes. We ask that parents respect the decisions of an official or coach. We also ask that you refrain from negative comments about the players on the field. Refer to the Athletic Code of Conduct for athletes. If you have any concerns please contact the CMS coaches at 281.640.4509.
Neither player nor parent misconduct will be tolerated by the officials. It is our responsibility as adults and players to display positive reinforcement and encouragement. Please do what you can to ensure we are representing CMS Colt pride accordingly on the field.
► Game schedule and details
- B Team Boys - 30 minute halves; 10 minute halftime (2 referees; 11v11)
- B Team Girls - 30 minute halves, 10 minute halftime (1 referee; 8v8)
- A Team Boys - 35 minute halves; 10 minute halftime (2 referees; 11v11)
- A Team Girls - 30 minute halves, 10 minute halftime (1 referee; 8v8)
Game 1: Thursday, Apr 23 (due to STAAR testing)
Game 2: Monday, Apr 27
Game 3: Monday, May 4
Game 4: Monday, May 11
Game 5: Monday, May 18
Rain-out date – Tuesday, May 26
Championship Game: Monday, June 1st